Martinez in limbo, with Villa future uncertain

Emi Martinez has made 256 appearances for Aston Villa in six years [Getty Images] Emi Martinez is facing an uncertain future after his proposed move to Juventus collapsed. The 33-year-old Argentine has become a World Cup winner while playing for Aston Villa, and has twice been voted the world's best goalkeeper. Yet as Villa prepare to start the new Premier League season at Brighton on Sunday, Martinez finds himself in limbo again, with his replacement about to arrive. Zion Suzuki is due to join from Parma for about £30m to become Villa's new No 1, despite Martinez's move to Juventus collapsing. Juve turned their attention to Tottenham's Guglielmo Vicario, who is moving on loan with a non-mandatory £8.6m option to purchase. That makes him slightly cheaper than Martinez, with Villa holding out for closer to £10m. Sources in Italy told BBC Sport the only reason the deal did not happen was because the clubs could not agree a fee. There were no doubts over Martinez's fractured finger, which he sustained in the warm-up before Villa's Europa League final win over Freiburg in May . That is despite the goalkeeper, who has a contract at Villa Park until 2029, admitting at the World Cup he had been struggling with the injury. Martinez helped Aston Villa boss Unai Emery win his fifth Europa League in May [Getty Images] Villa have been open to selling Martinez, who joined from Arsenal for £17m in 2020, but it was not down to any doubts about his ability. The club were eager to lower the average age of their squad, and - with Martinez one of the top earners - also needed to address their finances. The need for Villa to sell this summer - with Morgan Rogers leaving for Chelsea £117m, and Youri Tielemans and Lucas Digne also sold - has been well documented as they look to comply with the financial rules of both Uefa and the Premier League. Martinez's departure would have ticked two boxes, especially with Suzuki due to turn 24 on Friday. Villa view Suzuki as someone who can be their No 1 for 10 years. The developments come a month after director of football operations Damian Vidagany said he expected Martinez to stay. "The goalkeeper's future is settled. He is staying with us, and we have no intention of letting him go this summer," Vidagany told 365 Scores. "The team needs his efforts and extensive experience, and he is a very important element in our project for next season. "All the news published by the media about his departure to Juventus does not reflect the club's true position. Martinez is a very important player for us, and we expect him to continue delivering his outstanding performances alongside his team-mates." Yet Villa now must find a route out for Martinez, or leave an expensive asset out of the team. The Premier League's transfer window closes on 1 September but Martinez has had previous interest from Saudi Arabia, where the window is open until 12 October. The deadline in Turkey is 4 September. This, of course, is not the first time Martinez has been close to leaving Villa, after interest from Manchester United last summer. Ruben Amorim wanted Martinez but was overruled by the United hierarchy who opted to spend more money on their forward options - including £62.5m on Matheus Cunha and £65m on Bryan Mbeumo - feeling it was a better long-term investment. Goalkeeper Senne Lammens was signed instead from Royal Antwerp for about £18m. Martinez stayed and helped Villa lift the Europa League, ending a 30-year trophy drought. But that famous night in Istanbul could have been his last for Villa. Villa close in on Suzuki with Martinez future in doubt Fresh talks over Arsenal move for Aston Villa's Konsa
News Source : Yahoo Sports and Read the full article →

Most Read News