Diego Simeone opens up about conversation with Barcelona target Julian Alvarez: ‘I still stand by what I said’

Diego Simeone opens up about conversation with Barcelona target Julian Alvarez: ‘I still stand by what I said’ Diego Simeone had a simple message when asked about Julian Alvarez’s future: as far as he is concerned, the striker remains at the centre of Atletico Madrid’s plans. With Atletico Madrid preparing for their La Liga opener against Malaga, the Argentine coach was asked about his star forward’s future, his recent meeting with the player and whether there was any uncertainty over what comes next. Simeone’s answers were revealing for two reasons. First, he made it clear that, from a footballing perspective, Alvarez remains central to Atletico’s plans.  Second, when asked whether he was certain the striker would stay, he pointed straight towards the club’s hierarchy and the message already delivered by the owner. In other words, Simeone sees no reason to question Atletico’s position. That comes after a summer dominated by Julian Alvarez to Barcelona rumours and growing interest surrounding the Argentine’s future.  But within the dressing room, Simeone’s focus remains on getting his most important attacking player ready for the season. Simeone still sees Alvarez as Atletico’s key player Diego Simeone is standing firm. (Photo by Eric Alonso/Getty Images) Simeone revealed that he had already spoken with Alvarez and described their conversation as no different from his usual discussions with the forward. “I still stand by what I said in Korea. I focus on the sporting side of things; he’s an extraordinary lad, and we had a chat as usual.  “From a sporting perspective, I understand he needs a bit more training to be in peak condition for Sunday. We need more training sessions with him.” Simeone did not speak about potential destinations or negotiations. Instead, he spoke about the player he has in his squad and the role he believes Alvarez should have within it.   “He’s the best player we have in attack and I still feel the same way: we need to build a team around him, taking into account his power, quality, stature, talent and what he gave the team during the two years he was here,” he added. Atletico are holding their ground The more interesting answer came when Simeone was asked whether he was certain Alvarez would remain at Atletico. Rather than speaking on behalf of the club, the manager referred to the position already taken by the owner. Diego Simeone has spoken about Julian Alvarez’s future. (Photo by Carl Recine/Getty Images) “If the club owner speaks so categorically, there’s no room for doubt – it’s like a court ruling. What he said is crystal clear.  “We focus on the sporting side of things, looking after the person, the player, ensuring he’s in the best possible condition so that he can be the footballer he is.  “He won’t be playing in this match; I hope he makes further progress over the next few days and that we get closer to what we want.” While Barcelona continue to be strongly linked with the Argentine, Simeone is preparing as though Alvarez will remain part of his project.  The club’s position, according to the coach, has been stated firmly enough to leave no room for interpretation. Lastly, there was also a more delicate question regarding the reaction from some Atletico supporters and whether Alvarez owed them an apology amid the speculation. Simeone chose not to enter that debate, concluding, “I respect everyone’s right to their own opinion.” Source: Mundo Deportivo
News Source : Yahoo Sports and Read the full article →

Most Read News