Report: Arsenal star set to turn down move to European giants

Report: Arsenal star set to turn down move to European giants Gabriel Jesus Transfer Latest: Arsenal Forward Rejects Napoli As Exit Picture Remains Unclear Gabriel Jesus faces an uncertain end to the summer window, with Mirror reporting that the Arsenal forward is not currently minded to join Napoli despite interest from the Serie A side. For a player entering the final year of his contract, that development adds another layer to an already delicate situation. Arsenal are understood to be open to offers for Jesus after four seasons in north London. The 29-year-old has struggled to re-establish himself as a central figure in Mikel Arteta’s attack, with injuries and competition for places limiting his impact. Last season, he scored six goals in 27 appearances in all competitions and was absent from the squad for the Community Shield win over Manchester City, a selection call that only intensified the discussion around his future. Napoli Interest Fails to Advance Napoli had appeared a plausible destination. They are in the market for a striker after Romelu Lukaku’s departure, and Jesus has previously spoken warmly about Italian football. Yet this potential move has not gathered momentum, with the report indicating that Napoli are “not on Jesus’ radar”. Instead, the Brazilian wants to assess the full market before making any decision ahead of the September 1 deadline. That stance is understandable. A player with Jesus’ experience, pedigree and versatility will want clarity over role, salary and sporting project before committing to a move. Arsenal, for their part, have reportedly placed a relatively modest £20 million valuation on him, a fee that may invite interest from multiple leagues if clubs believe his recent injury issues are behind him. Photo IMAGO Arteta Comments Add Nuance Publicly, Arteta has attempted to strike a supportive tone. Speaking about Jesus and Gabriel Martinelli, he said: “It’s really sad not to have their ability. I have been fighting with the Premier League to extend [the squad], to accommodate more players. It’s always tough. They deserve to be in the squad, there is no question.” Those comments offer encouragement on one level, but they do not necessarily settle the bigger picture. Arsenal’s forward line has evolved significantly since Jesus arrived from Manchester City in 2022. Kai Havertz has become an increasingly trusted option through the middle, while Viktor Gyokeres’ arrival for more than £60m has further increased competition in attacking areas. In practical terms, Jesus appears to have work to do if he is to recover a prominent role. Serie A Dream Meets Arsenal Reality What makes the Napoli development more intriguing is that Jesus himself has previously left the door open to Italy. Earlier in the summer, he told Gazzetta dello Sport: “I grew up watching Serie A and dreamed of playing in Italy. Scoring two goals at San Siro against Inter was like making that dream come true. I don’t know my future, I’m working now and we’ll see what happens with Arsenal.” That quote still feels relevant. It suggests no firm closure to a Serie A switch, only that this specific opportunity may not be the one he wants. Arsenal now face a familiar late-window balancing act, retain a player of quality and experience, or find a buyer willing to meet their terms for a squad member whose pathway has narrowed. At present, the most notable point is simple. Gabriel Jesus may be available, Arsenal may be prepared to listen, but the player is not rushing towards Napoli. For now, his Arsenal future remains unresolved. Our View From an Arsenal supporter’s perspective, this is exactly the sort of saga the club could do without. Jesus has given everything in patches, and at his best he brings energy, pressing and intelligence, but the reality is brutal. Six goals in 27 appearances is not enough for a side with title ambitions, and availability has become part of the judgement too. Arteta saying, “They deserve to be in the squad, there is no question,” is admirable man-management, but fans will read the squad situation for what it is. If Gyokeres and Havertz are ahead of him, then Arsenal need a clean decision. Keeping an unhappy or peripheral player on big wages helps nobody, especially when the fee mentioned is only £20 million. The frustrating part is the mixed messaging. Jesus has said, “I grew up watching Serie A and dreamed of playing in Italy,” yet Napoli are “not on Jesus’ radar”. If he wants to stay and fight, fair enough, do it fully. If he wants a new challenge, then pick the right move and let Arsenal plan properly. Supporters will always respect what he contributed in that first season, when he helped transform the attack and lifted the level of the team. But sentiment cannot shape this call. Arsenal need clarity, efficiency and ruthless squad management if they are going to stay at the top. Jesus remains a talented footballer, but this now feels like a situation that needs resolving sooner rather than later.
News Source : Yahoo Sports and Read the full article →

Most Read News