We don't have enough wingers for start of season - Iraola
Iraola manages his first competitive match for Liverpool against Newcastle on Sunday [Getty Images] Liverpool boss Andoni Iraola believes his side do not have enough wingers for the start of the season - but is confident they will find a solution before the end of the transfer window. Liverpool had a £50m bid for Brighton's Yankuba Minteh rejected earlier this week and have explored the possibility of a move for Paris St-Germain's Ibrahim Mbaye. PSG's Bradley Barcola remains Liverpool's main target as they look to strengthen in the wide attacking areas before the transfer window concludes. "As a manager, this is an easy one for me. I wanted the players for the first day on 13 July - everyone here and all the positions doubled with top-level players," said Iraola when asked about the transfer window. "But you understand how the competition works, that (the) market is open and you start the competition. We have to adapt as coaches to this situation. "I hate these two weeks or these 10 days that we have because there is a lot of uncertainty – but not in Liverpool, everywhere. But we have to adapt." Since Iraola replaced Arne Slot as Liverpool head coach, the Reds have signed Victor Munoz for £34.5m and Ronald Araujo on loan from Barcelona. Jeremy Jacquet, the French centre-half, also arrived from Rennes in a deal worth £60m, but that was agreed back in January. In terms of outgoings, Mohamed Salah, Andy Robertson and Ibrahima Konate all left the club over the summer while Curtis Jones is in Italy to complete a £30m move to Inter Milan. Iraola added: "You are asking me what we need - there are certain situations that for me are clear – especially now on the wing because we don't have enough players specific to play in those positions. "And then in other positions, I think we have to be open-minded in the market to see situations that honestly can improve our team. "It's not about signing because we need a player here. No, it's about improving the squad. And we have very good players already here, so to improve our very good players, you need like a specific level of player, yes." In a separate interview with Jamie Carragher on Sky Sports, he said: "We will definitely sign some players. Some deals you have to wait until the end. But the end is the important picture, the one we will have on September 1. Because it is true that we are still quite thin." It's not the first time that Iraola has said words to that effect, having echoed similar sentiments during Liverpool's pre-season tour in the USA when discussing Liverpool's defensive options, and internally the belief at Anfield is that it will be a busy end to the window for Liverpool On Jones' move to Inter Milan, Iraola said: "With Curtis, you know. I think it's still not official but there is an ongoing situation. I understood with Curtis. I talked to him. I think in the first or second training session we talked. "I value him a lot as a player. He loved this club – it was very clear since the beginning for me – but I understood that probably the outcome was going to be what it has been at the end. "I've never hid it - for me Curtis is a very good player. A very, very good player, but I understood straight away when he talked to me about his situation. It was a situation that could happen and it looks like it is going to happen." Latest Liverpool news, analysis and fan views Ask about Liverpool - what do you want to know?
News Source : Yahoo Sports and Read the full article →





